A Guide To Mormonism Beliefs
By: Carma Naylor.
Let’s look at the main Mormonism beliefs-
1. Mormonism refers to the branch of the Latter Day Saint movement which was led by Brigham Young, after Joseph Smith’s death. It is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. (LDS Church) Faith in Jesus Christ is the central tenet of this religion.
2. Like Christians, believers maintain that salvation is only possible through Jesus Christ. They follow the Bible, the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants, as well as the Pearl of Great Price. Apart from the Bible, the other texts consist of revelation which was dictated by Joseph Smith.
3. Under the doctrine of revelation, followers believe that Jesus led the church by revealing his will to a modern day prophet- the President of the Church. This was an office held by Joseph Smith. Believers thought that the church he founded was a literal restoration of primitive Christianity.
4. This was necessary because the Church as established by the Lord had fallen in spiritual decay. According to Mormons, after the death of the original apostles, the priesthood authority was removed from earth. It was restored to Joseph Smith by those who held them anciently.
5. According to Mormon cosmology, human spirits were children of heavenly parents, before their mortal life. They also believe that there are three degrees of heaven.
6. According to their belief in exaltation, mankind can return after death to live in God’s presence. They can continue as families then, and become gods and goddesses. They would then be in a position similar to Jesus Christ.
|About The Author
Mormonism beliefs are similar to Christian ones in some respects. However, there are some important differences.