The United Arab Emirates has announced that foreign nationals who has residence visas have been stranded abroad due to the coronavirus lockdown.
This was disclosed in a statement on Tuesday May 19th, 2020 by the UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, and the Federal Authority for Identity and Citizenship.
The ministry said efforts were being made to evacuate all stranded citizens in June this year in order to reunite them with their families with whom they had been separated from since the announcement of the Lockdown.
“We are making moves tp process their stream safe return to the UAE. ” the statement reads.
Also, the Federal Authority for Identity and Citizenship has asked holders of valid residency permit outside the country and wishing to return to the UAE to register for the “Resident Entry Permit” service on the authority’s website.
The announcement came following the expansion of the night curfew by two hours starting Wednesday, May 20, until further notice. The new timing for the national disinfection drive will now last from 8 p.m. until 6 a.m.
A UAE government spokesperson said, “More than 6,500 foreign nationals have already returned to the UAE since the country allowed residents to return to protect against the coronavirus pandemic.”
“Flights out of the UAE were suspended on March 23 as officials moved to contain the spread of the coronavirus, officially known as COVID-19.” he added.
Emirates and Etihad have both been involved in government repatriations to bring citizens home. Flights that allow UAE residents have only recently been announced, with passengers able to fly once government approval has been granted.