Nigerian migrant have been burned to death in Tripoli, Libya
While disclosing this on Thursday October 8, 2020, the Libyan Interior Ministry said three Libyan men had been arrested on suspicion of attacking and killing the migrant worker, who has not been named.
Witnesses said that the suspects forced their way into the factory where the victim was working and set him on fire.
The United Nations has described the man’s death as “another senseless crime” in Libya.
“We are horrified by the killing of a Nigerian migrant worker in Tripoli, Libya by three men.
“The young man was burned alive, in yet again another senseless crime against migrants in the country,” tweeted Federico Soda, the head of the UN’s International Organisation of Migration (IOM) mission in Libya.
“Those responsible must be held to account,” he added.
There are half a million migrants in Libya according to the UN mission, some of them having worked in the oil producing country before it descended into chaos in 2011.
Others are passing through the North African country en route to Europe. The IOM and the UN refugee agency (UNHCR) have both said repeatedly that Libya should not be classified as a safe place for migrants.