Israeli soldiers have killed a Palestinian teenager while dispersing protesters obstructing illegal Jewish settlers.
The Palestinian teenager was shot dead as the Israeli soldiers opened fire to disassemble the crowds revolting against intruding Israeli settlers in Bieta.
The victim, 15-year-old Mohammed Hamayel, according to the Palestinian health ministry, died as a result the gunshot in the face.
“Another 17 protestors were injured due to rubber-coated metal rounds detonated by Israeli troops in the town of Beita, near the city of Nablus,” the Palestinian health ministry said.
At least three Palestinians were also arrested, according to the Maan news agency.
The Israeli military alleges that about 500 Palestinians were burning tyres and throwing rocks at the soldiers during a ‘violent riot’.
“We are aware of a report regarding a killed Palestinian and several injured. The incident will be reviewed,” an army statement declared.
Protestors have been orchestrating sit-ins in the hilltop village of Mount al-Armeh to dissuade illegal Israeli settlers from ascertaining a settlement outpost since February 28, 2020.
“The settlers renewed their attempt to reach the top of the mountain overnight, but hundreds of the town’s residents had camped out to block the effort,” Beita Mayor, Fuad Maali, said.
Under international law, settlements and outposts are illegal. Moreover, with the signing of the Oslo Accords, settlement building was to be discontinued, but Israel has proceeded to broaden prevailing settlements on Palestinian lands.
Outposts are built without authorization and are illegal under Israeli law but still receive government backing and monetary aid. As a result, majority of Israel’s settlements in occupied East Jerusalem and occupied West Bank are constructed with the government’s permission.
In the occupied West Bank and Israeli-annexed East Jerusalem, around 600,000 Israeli settlers reside amidst about 2.9 million Palestinians.
Palestinians assert that settlers have become invigorated after US President Donald Trump’s Middle East plan was proclaimed in January 2020, proceeding which Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu vowed to seize settlements.
Israeli defense ministry’s sanction of a highly contentious scheme meant to progress a settlement project in the strategically diplomatic E1 region by proposing for a road that would distinguish Palestinians and Israeli commuters east of Jerusalem was criticised by Palestinian leaders on Tuesday.
Israel’s proposal to broaden the Ma’ale Adumim settlement had been on halt since 2012 due to international criticism, before it was restored by Netanyahu, who vowed to build 3,500 new illegal settler homes in the E1 region of the occupied West Bank, two weeks ago.
Though the plan has been opposed by the Palestinian leaders who have constantly called for the removal of the settlements, a joint US-Israeli committee has commenced tasks to complete accurate maps of the pertinent areas.